Sunday 27 February 2011

Bolton Wanderers-Tottenham Hotspur Preview (PA SportsTicker)

Adam Carroll-Smith STATS European Football Writer=

LONDON (SE) - Peter Crouch has promised to rediscover his scoring touch and pilot Tottenham into the Champions League for the second successive season, starting with Saturday’s home match against Bolton.

England striker Crouch scored only his second Premier League goal of the season with what proved to be the winner at Blackburn’s Ewood Park in midweek.

Crouch’s other goal was also against Blackburn in the corresponding fixture at White Hart Lane earlier in the season and his return to form could hardly be more timely.

Tottenham go into the Bolton match in fifth place and with the top four automatically qualifying for Europe, Harry Redknapp badly needs a consistent goal-scorer.

Crouch said: “I was due a goal and it was all the better because it won us the match. I know people have been criticising me for not getting more and I admit I should have done.

“But I have played my part in a lot of the goals we have scored this season and I have done my bit for the team.

“We are at the stage of the season where we need to pick up points and get among the Champions League places. Every point is precious.

“We are still in this year’s competition, of course, and next up is AC Milan but we cannot get ahead of ourselves and our focus is now on beating Bolton.

“Bolton are a tough side to beat and they will make life awkward for us on Saturday. The manager will be anxious for us to use our home advantage.”

Redknapp has his problems with Michael Dawson suspended and William Gallas playing on despite a hip injury for the benefit of the team.Redknapp named perennially injured Jonathan Woodgate on the bench for the first time in 16 months and may have to again this weekend.

Bolton had been going through a difficult spell until Daniel Sturridge came on as a substitute and scored the 93rd minute winner at home to Wolverhampton in midweek.

Sturridge, on loan until the end of the season, appears to have been the victim of the Fernando Torres signing at Chelsea and has moved north again to gather experience.

Sturridge became an instant hero for the Reebok crowd with his debut goal and has promised many more to come before his time is up.

The 21-year-old striker said: “My first goal will not be my last, I can assure fans of that. I am here to score goals and I will give everything for the cause while I am here.

“The manager told me before the match to be ready to come on and light the place up and afterwards he said I had done that.

“Bolton are up to eighth now and I think from what I saw against Wolves we can go even higher.

“There is a lot of competition for places at Chelsea and it is even tougher now Torres has arrived. Coming to Bolton has given me the chances to get some games in and show what I can do.”




Agences de presses

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

nemdil welcome

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web counter

WWW.CSCONSTANTINE.COM