Monday 21 February 2011

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson: We deserved more than a draw against Wolves - Goal.com

{ West Bromwich Albion snatched a 1-1 draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers thanks to Carlos Vela’s equaliser in the 90th minute, but despite gaining a point new boss Roy Hodgson felt his side were unfortunate not to get more from the Black Country derby.

Hodgson’s first fixture in charge was spoiled by Jamie O’Hara’s goal a few minutes before half-time, but the Baggies showed commitment and created a host of opportunities to level up the game.

He told reporters: “They managed in some way with their organisation to get rid of the player who in my opinion should have been square of the ball, and O’Hara got his shooting chance.

“But there is not a goal scored that is not a mistake. Every goal is a mistake.”

The former Liverpool manager watched his new side score three times to put them in the lead against West Ham United with Michael Appleton temporarily at the helm, before Hodgson’s official appointment.

“Of course I have been encouraged by what I have found. I did a session on Monday and a session on Thursday and Friday,” he said.

“So I don't really feel at the moment that I really know all I should know about this group of players.

“But that's a no brainer, how could you?  When you come into a club with only 12 games to go how can you possibly know enough. I'm learning as I go and I’m having to learn very quickly.

“I'm desperately hoping the players are too, because we don't have a lot of time. I thought today there were an awful lot of encouraging signs but I am still looking forward to the time I’m going to get with them on the training ground when we can hone what we do.

“It doesn't really feel like I’ve been away that much if I'm perfectly honest. The dugout’s been my home for so long now, I'd have to be away from it a lot longer to feel like I'd missed it.

The Baggies have struggled since the start of 2011 and sit just above the relegation zone.  Having picked up a single point against Mick McCarthy’s side, they now sit in 17th spot of the Premier League.

Asked about Carlos Vela on loan from Arsenal, he said: “[He is]a good loan signing that's for sure.

“It was nice today that he could come on, look very lively and score a goal. You need to be a goalscorer to be in the right position.

“And actually the ball came back at him very quickly and he got his feet adjusted. I’ve seen those chances missed.

“So I'm very pleased with him but most importantly of all I'm pleased with the team’s performance.

“Today there aren't any players that I'd criticise and say they didn't do their very best for the team.

“I was certainly happy to see the equaliser. But if you mean am I happy because I didn't think [we] deserved any better then no.

“I thought we deserved better. I thought that the performance throughout was good. I thought that we laid siege for long periods on the Wolves goal.

“But we know they defend well and all credit to them. They are not an easy team to break down. If ever a team worked hard for an equaliser, asked plenty of questions and forced good
saves and blocks then it was us.

“In the end I suppose when you equalise that late in a game, I suppose you do have that feeling of happiness but I am pretty certain that when I think back on Tuesday or Wednesday I won't be as happy as I am at this moment in time.

“It told me there is fighting spirit among them, there is a lot of determination and character. You need that when you play against teams of Wolves calibre.

“If you don't stand up, don't win your share of challenges, you don't make certain that you are prepared to give as much effort, commitment and hard work as they do then you lose games.

“I thought we matched them very well in that area.

“They scored a great goal and had a very good chance from a missed back pass but apart from that Myhill had a quiet afternoon but I don't think we can say that about Hennessey."

Striker Marc-Antoine Fortune did not feature on the score–sheet and missed a good opportunity in the 63rd minute, but Hodgson still found praise for his player's work off the ball.

“It’s unfortunate for him because he did a very good job for the team today. His target play was excellent, his selfless running, his work off the ball,” he said.

“But what’s going to be remembered is the one or two goal chances he did well enough to get into position for but he didn't put them away.

“He is anything other than happy because he wants to score goals and he realises that the fans will only judge him on goals scored.”




Agences de presses

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

nemdil welcome

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web counter

WWW.CSCONSTANTINE.COM