Saturday 19 February 2011

Last time I went to Old Trafford, I wasn't allowed on the pitch - The Sun

{

The massive Manchester United fan cannot wait to lead out his Sun-sponsored side for their FA Cup fifth-round clash at the home of his boyhood idols.

Mills has never played at the Theatre of Dreams but did visit the stadium on a tour as a special present for his 24th birthday two years ago - and we have the picture to prove it.

The defender and his brother Daniel were photographed with the Premier League trophy.

And Mills, who makes a very happy return in today's late kick-off, said: "It was a brilliant day out.

"I've always been a United fan so my mum and brother decided to take me to Old Trafford for my birthday. The tour was full of excited kids - but none of them were as excited as me. I must've been the oldest person there, other than the mums and dads. But I didn't care, it was excellent.

"We got to see the dressing rooms, the trophy cabinets and behind the scenes at the stadium.

"I had goosebumps the whole time I was there. The only thing we weren't allowed to do was go on the pitch.

"I was a bit gutted about that at the time, so I am looking forward to making up for it on Saturday."

And Mills hopes United gaffer Alex Ferguson fields his strongest line-up so he can face his idols.

Mills, 26, said: "I don't have just one favourite United player, I have loads and Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Rio Ferdinand are just three of them.

"I would love them all to play just so I can say I've played on the same pitch as them."

Despite his Spanish Christian name, the only bullring Brummie Mills has seen is the one next to New Street Station!

He added: "There are no Spanish connections in my family, my mum just loved Spanish names.

"So I was always going to be a Pablo or a Pedro."

Mills was earmarked as one to watch when he broke through the ranks at Derby, representing England youth along the way.

But he never got to fulfil his potential at Pride Park and after 64 first-team games in four years, he moved to Rotherham, where his love affair with Crawley began.

In a bid to get him back to full speed after fitness problems, the Millers sent him out on loan to the Broadfield Stadium for a couple of months in the 2007-08 season.

After returning to Rotherham, he signed a new two-year deal and led them to last season's League Two play-off final, only to lose 3-2 to Dagenham at Wembley.

The out-of-contract ace received offers from several league clubs but with fond memories of Crawley still fresh in his mind, he returned.

Mills' men are on course to win promotion to the Football League for the first time in the club's history.

He added: "We know what United can do to us if they're on fire. But we're not going there just to make up the numbers and we have a few winners in our dressing room, too.

"Everyone body is writing us off but we can't be frightened. Anything can happen."




Agences de presses

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

nemdil welcome

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web counter

WWW.CSCONSTANTINE.COM