Wednesday 16 February 2011

I love people booing me! Rangers bad boy Diouf looking forward to renewing old ... - Daily Mail

{

By Peter Jardine
Last updated at 1:48 AM on 2nd February 2011

Never far from controversy: El-Hadji Diouf Never far from controversy: El-Hadji Diouf

El Hadji Diouf last night claimed he revels in his bad-boy image - and will welcome the jeers of opposition fans.

The controversial Senegal international is set to make his Rangers debut on Werdneday against Hearts amid public outcry at his Ibrox arrival.

But Diouf, who has never been forgiven by Celtic fans for spitting at a supporter at Parkhead during the striker's Liverpool days, said: 'I know everywhere I go people are going to boo me, but I love that.

'I expect a tough time from Celtic fans. But people never boo a bad player. The more you boo me, the more I've got power and the more I'll show you who I am. I don't want people to love me, just respect me.

'A lot of things happened in the past between me and Celtic. I regret that. I was young and used to do stupid things.

'I apologise to the Celtic fans again. I joined Rangers to win the title, win a lot of trophies, and enjoy my life and enjoy the football,' he told talkSPORT.

Diouf will undoubtedly be targeted by Celtic fans during Sunday's Old Firm Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox, but manager Walter Smith last night insisted he doesn't see the 30-year-old's signing on loan from Blackburn as a risk - and urged him to let his football do the talking in Glasgow.

With Nikica Jelavic a major doubt for this evening with a groin strain, Diouf should start against Hearts following a blaze of negative publicity which culminated in bookmakers William Hill taking bets on whether he will be sent off against Celtic and how many yellow and red cards he will land in Scotland.

Remember me? Diouf once spat at Celtic fans while a Liverpool player Remember me? Diouf once spat at Celtic fans while a Liverpool player

Yet a defiant Smith said: 'I don't see him as a risk. He maybe comes with a reputation that even the player himself might want to tidy up a bit. But that has been the case with a fair number of players and we'll just have to handle that. He has to handle that, too. I am sure he will.

'You know those things happen and we take all of that into account when we try to sign a player. Then you hope it is the football he is remembered for.'

Smith was Paul Gascoigne's boss in the 1990s when the England star had a whole series of problems off the pitch and, occasionally, on the field, as well.

No stranger to controversial stars during his two spells at Rangers, including Andy Goram and Allan McGregor, Smith admitted: 'Things have happened with quite a number of players over the period.

'With all your players you just try to make sure they have an awareness of what can happen in games if they don't keep their temper. Diouf is an experienced player and he just needs to handle that and we need to help him.'

Northern Ireland international David Healy is also in contention for a debut tonight, while 20-year-old Arsenal defender Kyle Bartley will feature in Smith's squad following his arrival on loan.

Meanwhile, Hearts midfielder Ian Black says he knows exactly who will be Public Enemy No1 at Ibrox tonight - and it won't be Diouf.

The 25-year-old is readying himself for a barrage of abuse for his challenge which put ?4million star Jelavic out of action for four months.

'I'm sure when I run out I will get a "good" reception from the crowd,' Black said. 'Do I regret making the tackle on Jelavic? No, I don't. There was no intention there to go in and hurt him. There was no malice - I wasn't trying to injure him.'




Agences de presses

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

nemdil welcome

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web counter

WWW.CSCONSTANTINE.COM